Thursday, January 23, 2014

                                Is Bihar really growing??

I belong to the place which has taught the world "what is democracy?". I belong to the place which  has given the world "zero". I belong to the place which has given the world knowledge about economics. I belong to the place  where the world famous Nalanda University was situated. I belong to the place where the great god "Gautam Budh" got the eternal knowledge sitting under a tree. I always feel proud to belong to this part of the country,but the  thing that Bihar is among one of the poorest region in the world always baffles me and leave me into a sheer disappointment.  

                                       Though the glorious period of Bihar is a long back history, one question which comes naturally in my mind is " how can a society trap into such a regressive whirl ?". what could be the reason of falling down of this great state?, till now i couldn't find the reason. I am 22 years old and out of these years , i have spent 18 years of my life in Bihar. Born in a village in a farmer's  family, my childhood days were mostly spent in the tobacco and potato field with my father. My father and mother who were the just two literate person in my family of 16 at that time, always dreamt about me to become a civil engineer. But they had no idea how to provide me a quality education. I got admitted in the village school. The school had no bench-desk, the students used to take their jute bags called " bora". Instead teaching,female teachers were busy in knitting sweaters and male teachers were discussing about village elections. I was sent to a well reputed private school after my class sixth . Now when I return back in my memory lane , i realise that those were the reason the literacy rate of the state is the lowest among all . Most of my classmates of the village school are either working in their field or just doing nothig  having no skills. aren't they the reason why the state is backward? and who is responsible for that? the clear answer is the state government. 

                                    Today people talk too much about the growth story of Bihar. The TIME magzine has praised the CM Nitish Kumar for his development model. The GDP growth rate is fastest among all the states. Reservations are given to the underprivileged  and downtrodden section of the society. We can see some sign of growth on the ground too. But, what is happening with the primary education? It is being devastated. Most of the teachers recruited  have no knowledge,  even some of them doesn't know about english alphabet. How can they groom the child in school?. The scenario is all the same what it was 15 years back. The ability deprived teacher will destroy the whole education and  i can't imagine what is going to happen with the future of those children who are attending the goverment schools. So on this count i would say that Bihar is really not growing and it is going 100 years back by laying the foundation of such an education system which will only produce the knowledgeless and useless  literates.

No comments:

Post a Comment